Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday, but not for the reason you think. The reason I love Valentine’s Day has nothing to do with roses, chocolate, or jewelry.
Naturally, it has to do with sex.
Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday because, more than any other night of the year, more couples than usual will be trying to have sex. Countless people will be trying to get in the mood. Imagine all that getting-in-the-mood energy put out there in the world. Love it!
For some of us, it doesn’t take much to get in the mood – an eyebrow raise, a smirk, a look held for an extra beat. But for others, we need a little finessing, a little seduction.
What gets you in the mood?
Five ways to set the mood
- Get dressed. What? Get dressed, not undressed? Yes! Spritz a little perfume or cologne and put on something that makes you feel good (i.e. comfortable and confident). We’re never sexier than when we’re relaxed and confident. Bonus if what you’re wearing is in a lux fabric, tantalizing to the touch.
- Put on a sexy song. My partner recommends Prince’s “Adore” or “Damn U”. I do, too!
- Procure a tasty culinary temptation of your choice. And to go with it, pour something to drink. It doesn’t have to be alcohol – just something crisp and refreshing or warm and indulgent.
- Turn on the mood lighting. Light some candles if you have them, but there are so many good lighting options out there. Just turn off those bright ones, soften the edges, and give in to the glow.
- Flex those fingers. For the most part, anyone can give a competent neck and shoulder massage. No technical skills required! The goal is simply to make your partner feel good.
These are also some good ways to share intimacy with your partner, with or without having sex. More than likely, you are already familiar with these methods, but a little brushing up never hurts! In our busy lives, it’s just too easy to forgo that morning kiss while dashing off to work or to say “Tomorrow” or to be too tired. And I’m sure I’m not the only one who has Netflix and chill’d and skipped the chill.
For those of us that need it, Valentine’s Day is a good reminder to put everything else aside for a while and focus on each other.
At some point, we’ll talk about how to keep the Valentine’s Day vibe going on all year round. In the meantime…
Happy celebrating in whatever way works for you and your partner! Champagne or gifts or sweet nothings… tacos, spankings, you know…
Image credit: Myriams-Fotos, Pixabay